Tuesday 5 June 2012

Your pet can help you heal

"I felt like Brownie had miraculously entered my life to help me walk through the awful time." - Vrinda Bhosale, front desk executive
When Vrinda was 19, she lost her husband and was left all alone to taste the bitter part of life. She says, "I was pregnant when my husband met with an accident. Since his demise, I started getting suicidal. It was then that my mother-in-law introduced me to Brownie, a cute little puppy. I used to spend hours, playing and cuddling with him. He eventually helped me walk away from my misery and become more positive in life."

With a sad note she adds, "Brownie left us when he was 12. He had been my protector, healer, counsellor and definitely my best buddy!"

"I had never thought of getting a pet but Ana, my kitty, made me fall in love with her."
- Sweta Shenoy, image executive


Sweta was in a relationship for over 15 years but her married life lasted for only 2 years. She says dolefully, "I had full support of both my family and in-laws as I tried recuperating from the painful divorce from my unfaithful husband. But it was Ana, the stray kitten near my parents' place that became my true comforter."

Pets can find out the missing links and be the best pacifier. Sweta reminisces, "Her incessant gestures from getting cuddled up on my feet to nuzzling my chin, waking me up and greeting me with joy made me feel loved and needed in the phase where I needed love and cheering up the most."

"My daughter and my pet complete my forlorn life."
- Ruchika Mitra, primary school teacher


Ruchika was abandoned by her in-laws for giving birth to a girl child. She got divorced when her daughter was hardly a year old. She recounts, "I didn't want to be a burden on my parents after my divorce. So, I decided to stay in a rented house close to theirs and bought a 2 year old lab, named Dhiru.

She believes that pets bear a sense of responsibility and have the ability to pep you up during your toughest times. "While I was away for work, Dhiru used to be with my daughter. He taught me what selfless love and care without expectation is all about. I believe I could have never regained normal life if I did not have his support," laments Ruchika.

"Keeping a pet is about recreating the family sentiments, companionship and a reason to come home for someone who loves you unconditionally."
- Dr Silloo Bhagwager, Mumbai based practicing vet



Having pets is all about the 'feel good factor'. Dr Silloo confirms, "Humans have a basic need to give, share and care for others. As pets are non-judging and unconditionally devoted, they pamper our ego to an extent. In our woeful days, they unleash positive energy without holding any envious, malicious, or negative feelings."

About single women keeping pets, she says, "Pets can fill up the lives of people who may have gone through a loss or a tragedy and are great companions for people living alone. Just take care that there is a friend or a family member who can take care of your pet in your absence. While it brings in a sense of security, it also opens up avenues for new friendships with other pet lovers!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment